Friday 15 June 2012

A working lass

Today I earned some MONEYZ! A family friend is in the process of writing a book, and has hired me to sort through these Victorian stereograph photographs that he wants to incorporate, putting them into catagories. I thought it was going to be really quite dull, but these photographs are amazing. There are basically 2 images of the same scene, and when viewed next to each other through special magnified lenses, the image is three- dimensional. Some photographs lend themselves brilliantly to this - photographs with depth suddenly bounce to life - looking through caves, through arches, winding forest paths - it's incredible! I've got to weed out the blurry/ scrappy/ boring ones.

It felt great doing something different and spending my time productively. And getting paid WOOHOO. I've been lucky in that i've never needed to work - not to fund my way through uni (though I have a 22grand bloody student loan), nor to go out. I know how lucky I am. I also know that my situation isn't the same as most - in regards to how much I have to do in a day, energy wise, treatment wise and all that tedious CF stuff. When I get my new liver + panc however, I can't wait to have a normal job. Not having to worry about hypos creeping up on me without me realising, the size of my stomach (it's hard work ya know, imagine being pregnant but it lasting waaaay longer than 9 months!), lethargy, squished up lungs.... blurgh.

We were chatting for a tiny bit about my transplant, but i've noticed a lot of people don't really know what to say or how to approach the subject. I see it as a hugely positive thing, yet some people are very wary and look pretty shaken when I tell them. Like i'm at the end of my life or something, almost like "you poor thing". Once my positivity and excitment is obvious however, people tend to ease up. He also didn't quite comprehend why I need a liver - "I thought it was your lungs?". Again the confusion and the scale of pity grows. "You poor POOR thing" is what the eyes always convey. But I think there's a bit of respect and admiration there - I hope anyway - as the enormity of what I (and so many other people with CF) go through becomes apparent. I forget how much it is sometimes, but i'm chuffed that I cope with it all! It's nice to remind yourself of it sometimes. Easy to forget. My life seems quite banal and normal to me most of the time! Apart from I don't have a proper job... hmmm...

Not really sure what I want to do with my life though, which bugs the hell out of me. I might want to own a literary themed cocktail bar, or an all-day-breakfast cafe that delivers. I have all the names of my lit-cocktails, and some yummy cocktails. I also love all day breakfast. Breakfast for dinner. Imagine on a sunday morning, lying in bed, and the breakfast of your dreams turns up at your door. Why has no-one done this already?! Maybe I don't want to own this, just use it? Everyday. Stuff myself on blueberry pancakes and Oscar Myers bacon and maple syrup.



 P.S. Tomorrow is the 16th of the time when I have 1/6 chance of getting my call which has a 1/6 not-survival chance... If I get my call tomorrow i'm converting to Numerology. If I don't I won't write about coincidences EVER AGAIN. :)


5 comments:

  1. Those pictures do sound interesting! And you got to earn money too? Win! I think loads of people definitely respect you (myself included!)because you really are one of the most positive people I've ever come across and it's fantastic! CF or no CF, it's rare to meet people like that.
    When you've got your transplant you can be whoever you want to be, but I know what you mean about not knowing what to do. I'm absolutely loving the sound of that breakfast delivery service though. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your job- how long will it be for? I'm currently in the job searching process, I had an interview on Friday so will hopefully find out early next week (please Monday!).

    And OMG, the amount of times that Dan and I have fantasised about a cafe that delivers a fry-up and wondered why no-one does it...hurry up and get on with it! ;-)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get the job?!?! Where was it for? And yeah I best get a move on !

      Delete
  3. A literary themed cocktail bar? YESPLEASE! I'd love to hear more about this! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so proud of my cocktail names - they're all puns! One day i'll unleash it to THE WORLD... :)

      Delete